If you don’t have the time to get out with your dog and enjoy walks in Dalhousie, don’t let your dog miss out! There are plenty of professional dog walking services in most communities which offer semi regular or regular dog walking. If your dog must be left alone for 8 or more hours per day, consider using a dog walking service, and/or enrolling them in a doggie daycare at least twice a week. Not only will your dog will appreciate the social interaction with humans and dog playmates; it breaks the monotony of their day, and gives them something to look forward to.
Why is walking a dog so important?
Socializing your canine companion with a dog walker and other canines is very important and should be started as young as possible. By being away from it’s home, a dog will learn social skills and manners around other people and dogs. In doing so, it can help prevent certain aggression problems later on.
Regular and daily dog walks, even if the follow a predictable path, will enliven your dog!
Dogs that do not get a change in the environment frequently enough can become depressed. A depressed dog can develop anxiety which can lead to behavior problems. Believe it or not, regular and daily dog walks, even if the follow a predictable path, will enliven your dog! It will be using all of it’s senses to its fullest ability thus exercising its mind as well as its muscles.
All dogs need exercise every day, even the smallest breeds need to have a daily workout of their little legs. The larger a dog is, generally the more exercise it will need. There are working breeds, however, that are deceptively small but needs loads of exercise. A qualified dog walker can properly assess the amount of exercise required by your dog or puppy.
A Favorite Amongst Dalhousie Residents, UrbanPet.Life Offers Dog and Pet Care Services including:
- Pet Walkers in Dalhousie Neighborhood
- Dog Walking (One-on-One or Pack Walks)
- On/Off-Leash Park Fun
- On-Leash Neighborhood Walks
- In Home Pet Sitting
- Adventures, Water Fun & Hikes
- Miday Puppy & Senior Potty Breaks
- Pet Taxi Services
- Medication Administration
Find Out More: https://urbanpet.life/nw-calgary/
Own a Dog? Learn More About Dog Walking.
Pet sitter. The two words that bring joy to the hearts of dogs and dog trainers across the country. A relationship with a pet sitter is one of the most important relationships a dog owner will ever have.
What is a pet sitter?
Pet sitters are professional animal care providers who take care of your pets when you're not home. I'm not referring to the neighbor who occasionally lets your dog out or the teenager with a part-time dog walking service. I'm talking about professional pet sitters, whose full-time business is taking care of their customers' pets.
Why should I hire a pet sitter?
A pet sitter is the one resource you can always count on. Whether you have an emergency, are going on vacation, or want to schedule daily visits for your pet, a pet sitter is always available. Of equal importance, they provide for your pet, the same, exceptional care that you would.
From a behavioral standpoint, there are several benefits to hiring a pet sitter. If you're leaving town for vacation, boarding facilities are fine, but pets tend to be less stressed at home in their own environment. When you ask family, neighbors or your own kids to watch your dogs, there are some risks. While these folks are always willing to help, they typically don't have the training, education or experience required to handle an emergency or deal with dramatic pet behavior. A dog's behavior does change when their "parents" are not present. When Fluffy bolts out the front door, is your teenager going to know what to do? Will he even notice? Did he leave the door open on purpose? Pet sitters are experienced dog handlers. They expect the unexpected and know exactly how to handle it. They understand that adorable and well-behaved Fluffy is probably going to show her fur once Mom and Dad are gone, and they know how to mitigate the resulting behaviors and situations. Hiring a professional will substantially decrease your worry while you are away.
Dogs home alone all day suffer from a lack of physical and mental stimulation. This manifests itself in destructive or obsessive behaviors, which include excessive barking, licking, tail chasing and running in circles. Unlike cats, dogs are not solitary creatures. They are bred as companion pets and have an innate need to be with people. Lacking this, they become bored and frustrated and act out with poor behaviors. For the pets that are home alone all day, hiring a pet sitter to visit every day substantially impacts the pet's well-being which directly affects their behavior.
The last, yet equally important reason to have a daily pet sitter is simply this...can you hold it for 10 hours?
If you're out of the house all day, you can't expect your pet not to have an accident. In fact, many of the calls we get relative to housebreaking problems aren't really housebreaking problems at all. Rather, it's that the dogs are given no other choice. Like humans, pets cannot hold their bladders or bowels for long periods of time.
What services do they offer and what is the cost?
Services and fees vary, so be sure to ask these questions when you are interviewing pet sitters. The two services our dog trainers recommend the most are potty-breaks, to allow the pet to relieve himself, and long walks which provide physical and mental stimulation to break up the monotony of the pet's day. From a behavioral standpoint, and for the pet's emotional well-being, pet sitters are worth their weight in gold.
The Benefits of Using a Dog Walking Service!
Living With An Apartment Dog
Think dogs can't happily live in apartments? Just go to any large city in the United States and look around. Notice all the dogs, in the parks, being walked down the neighborhood sidewalks. Odds are the majority of these very happy dogs live in apartments.
Important Things To Consider
- Choosing a breed or mix breed to be your apartment dog is the hardest part. You have to think about size, tendencies to bark, temperament and behavior around strangers. This is a tricky one as some larger breeds are far less boisterous than the little guys and require a lot less activity.
- Scope out the neighborhood, parks close by, maybe tree lined streets. Somewhere convenient for your companion to relieve himself, and get rid of all of his built up energy.
- Time management is very important. Can your companion hold his bladder for eight or nine hours or are you going to have try to make it home on your lunch break? Maybe you should consider a dog walking service. Dog walkers can be a very handy tool in cities, and more affordable than you would think. When you take your dog to a local trainer they will most likely have some great references. You don't want to trust just anybody with keys to your apartment and access to your companion.
- Dog training is important for every dog but none more so than an apartment dog in the city. Being able to recall your dog at any time is a must and "stay" must be like second nature. Being able to heel like a pro will save you a lot of stress and frustration in the long run. Also a well behaved dog in a small home is so much easier to live with.
- Dogs and especially puppies are easily frightened or startled by all the sounds and movement of a city environment. So you will need to consistently reassure your companion that all of these noises and fast moving objects are normal and completely harmless.
Dogs can be very happy in urban apartment living with the proper training, management and reassurance. You would be very surprised at which breeds adapt the best and make great apartment dogs. Some of the best apartment dogs are at your local animal shelter. Just because it's an apartment dog doesn't mean it has to be a little guy, although they are great choices too.
Yes, owning dogs in the city can be a bit of a headache at times but having a great canine companion is worth any hassle.
Hire Professional Pet Sitting and Dog Walking Services During Holidays.
Note: urbanpet.life services the neighborhood of Dalhousie and near by communities.